General Practice Nurses and Healthcare Assistants from Lancashire and South Cumbria gather for conference and awards
30th November 2018
More than 150 General Practice Nurses and Healthcare Assistants from across Lancashire and south Cumbria have gathered in Preston this week for their annual conference and award ceremony.
Anne Greenwood, NHS England Patient Safety and Quality Manager and Service Transformation Manager at NHS Blackburn with Darwen Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), said: "We're celebrating all the fantastic work being done across Lancashire and south Cumbria, providing educational workshops and showcasing the best practice that's taking place."
The conference heard from NHS England's Primary Care Nursing Lead, Karen Story, who spoke about a ten point plan for General Practice Nursing to develop confidence, capability and capacity.
They also spoke about the need to recruit and retain nurses. One way is through videos with General Practice Nurses in Lancashire and South Cumbria.
Joanne Greenwood, NHS England Leading Change, Adding Value Lead talked about how leading change can add value for both nurses and patients, there were also presentations on how to support nursing as a first destination career, and how the use of digital is also important.
The primary care teams took part in a number of workshops: hypertension, sepsis, screening and immunisation, management of eye conditions, osteoporosis and other conditions.
The conference was followed by the annual Award Ceremony.
Use of Digital Innovation that has Supported Improved Outcomes and Practice
- Winner: Pendleside Anticoagulation Service nominated by Dr Lucy Astle
- Highly Commended: The Library House Surgery Team nominated by Simon Elcock
Delivering High Quality Patient Care
- Winner: East Lancashire Care Home Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment Development Team nominated by Adele Thornburn
- Highly Commended: Over Wyre Medical Centre Diabetic Nursing Team nominated by John Macphee
- Winner: Amanda Tomlinson from Bay Medical Group who was nominated by Lauren Butler
- Highly Commended: The Rossendale Advance Nurse Practitioner for Care Homes Service nominated by Claire Downes and Tracey Chadwick
Supporting Patients and Carers
- Winner: Emma Hodgson nominated by Bridget Kingcox
- Highly Commended: Darwen Healthcare Nursing Team nominated by Debbie Yates
Delivering Compassionate Care
- Winner: Debbie Whiteside nominated for this award by her colleague Corrie Llewellyn
- Highly Commended: The Over Wyre Surgery Practice Nursing Team nominated by John Macphee
Service Improvement Poster Abstract
- Winner: Darwen Men Ahead Project nominated by Debbie Yates and Ann Neville
- Highly Commended: Bay Medical Group nominated by Amanda Tomlinson