Public Health Commissioning
Lancashire and South Cumbria Public Health Commissioning Team are responsible for making sure the people of Lancashire and South Cumbria always have high quality screening and immunisation.
The Public Health Commissioning Team is made up of two teams, the Public Health Commissioners, who work for NHS England and the Screening and Immunisation Team, who work for Public Health England. Together we make sure that the people of Lancashire and South Cumbria have high quality, safe, screening and immunisation programmes.
Vaccination is one of the greatest inventions in modern medicine
Vaccination has done more to save lives and improve quality of life than anything else medically. The World Health Organisation (WHO) says that vaccinations are one of the two public health interventions that have had the greatest impact on the world’s health, the other being clean water.
Click on the national immunisation programmes we are responsible for to find out more:
- Seasonal Influenza (flu) programme which includes children, pregnant women and adults
- Childhood immunisation programmes including 0-2 years, pre-school booster, HPV, school leaver boosters and men ACWY
- Adult immunisation programmes including vaccinations for pregnant women, Shingles and Pneumococcal
- Child Health Information Service
The aim of Screening and Immunisation Programmes is to improve the population’s health
Screening can help people find earlier signs of disease and help find a way of diagnosing a problem and accessing treatment, this can be with cancer, eye problems due to diabetes or health checks for babies.
There are many benefits of having a screening test, these include:
- Finding a problem early, before you have any symptoms or can see any signs
- Finding something earlier, can make it easier to treat
- Finding out you have a health problem or an have a higher chance of a health problem can help you make decisions about your health
- Reducing the chance of something becoming an illness or disease
- Screening can and does save lives.
The national screening programmes we are responsbile for are:
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Screening (AAA)
- Antenatal Newborn Screening (ANNB)
- Breast Cancer Screening
- Bowel Cancer Screening
- Cervical Screening
- Diabetic Eye Screening (DESP).