The NHS is prioritising vaccinating those people who experts have agreed will benefit from it the most. We will let you know when it is your turn to book your vaccination.
The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) (opens in a new window) has advised that the first priorities for any Covid-19 vaccination programme should be to minimise Covid-19 deaths and the protection of health and social care staff and systems. Current evidence strongly indicates that the single greatest risk of death from Covid-19 is increasing age and that the risk increases exponentially with age. With this in mind, the rollout to patients is based on age:
- those aged over 80 years
- those aged over 75 years
- those aged over 70 years
- adults on the NHS shielded patient list
- those aged over 65 years
- adults under 65 years with long term conditions.
The rollout of the vaccination is accelerating, and we expect the vaccine will be available to more people early in 2021.
The public, and particularly our patient representatives, have an important part to play to help the NHS roll out the vaccination:
- please don’t contact the NHS to seek a vaccine, we will contact you;
- when we do contact you, please attend your booked appointments;
- please continue to follow all the guidance to control the virus and save lives.
In the meantime, you can get information about the Covid-19 vaccination online at nhs.uk/covidvaccination (opens in a new window).