After baby's birth
This page contains information and resources which you may find useful once baby is born.
Coronavirus: Parent information for newborn babies
Although the risks are very low, you may be concerned that your baby could get coronavirus. This leaflet tells you what to look out for. Do not delay seeking help if you have concerns.
Baby growth and development
Newborn routine vaccinations are continuing as normal during Coronavirus. Immunisations protect your newborn baby from infectious diseases like whooping cough and polio. More information about immunisations is available on the NHS website.
It is important that you and your family still have routine vaccinations. They protect against serious and potentially deadly illnesses. Contact your GP practice for more information. More information also available online: www.nhs.uk/vaccination
Healthy Start Vitamins
You and your child(ren) may be eligible for Healthy Start Vitamins which can help with your childs development from a young age. You can find out more information here.
For families expecting babies soon, it has never been more important than it is right now to understand:
- Prolonged skin to skin contact, no matter how baby is born or fed, helps baby's heart rate, temperature and breathing, gives better immunity and calms mum and baby.
- Every baby could benefit from their mother's first milk, known as colostrum. This can be expressed and stored near the end of your pregnancy and given to baby.
- Babies who are breastfed have more protection from infection. All breastmilk is valuable, every drop counts.
For more information, ask your midwife, health visitor or breastfeeding support.
Watch our video
Shel from the Lancashire and South Cumbria Infant Feeding Network shares some really important information about infant feeding in the video below.
Mum & Baby app
From the start of pregnancy to early parenthood, this app will support local families with:
- Making choices throughout their pregnancy
- Providing access to essential, clinically-validated information every step of the way: from planning a pregnancy and being pregnant, to giving birth and looking after a new baby
- Examples of personalised plans for their care during pregnancy, birth and beyond.
The app offers an easy-to-navigate screen, links and videos of a range of useful topics; information about emotional and physical wellbeing, mental health concerns, advice for partners, preparing for labour, hospital stays, post-delivery care, baby care basics, mum and baby checks, recovering from different types of delivery and medical conditions, and advice for when you take your new baby home.
Download the app from is iOS App Store or the Google Play Store.